Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Squirrel Bait Cookies -- or Dark Chocolate Cherry Almond Cookies

I have been holding off on entering this recipe until I could get the accompanying pictures downloaded so I could put them up with the entry.  Apparently though I have misplaced said pictures.... or at least can't remember which camera I took them with - I swear it was with my sister's camera - but since these are wonderful cookies, I don't want to continue holding off on this entry.  So for right now, it will be picture-less and when I finally discover the mystery camera that holds the elusive photographic evidence of cookie yummi-ness, I will put them up.

Betsy has affectionately given these cookies a name, which I have adapted to Squirrel Bait.  The origins of said name is due to the fruit and nut ingredients -- though whether squirrels eat cherries, I don't know. 

As a note: This recipe calls for Dark Chocolate Baking Cocoa.  Hershey's definitely makes this and I am sure it is possible to find organic.  My recommendation to locate it, would be to go to a mid-range priced grocery store or a organic store (like Dierbergs or Whole Foods).

Why is the Dark Chocolate Baking Cocoa so important?  Because it is amazing of course!  Also it is very dark, so it creates a beautiful cookie.  The flavour is also very different from normal baking cocoa.  If you have ever eaten Oreo's, this is the flavour I am talking about.  It is decadent. 

What You'll Need:
  • Dark Chocolate Baking Cocoa -- vital
  • Chopped cherries -- I used maraschino, but dried or fresh would be excellent also
  • Slivered/Chopped almonds
The Ingredients:
2 cups - flour
3/4 cup - Dark Chocolate Baking Cocoa
1 tsp - Baking soda
1/2 tsp - salt
1 cup - margarine or butter, softened
2/3 cup - granulated sugar
2/3 cup - packed brown sugar
1 tsp - vanilla extract
2 eggs
2/3 cup - slivered/chopped almonds
3/4 cup - chopped cherries

Mix It!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt and baking cocoa in a bowl and set aside.  Beat butter, sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until creamy.  Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour mixture until fully incorporated.  Stir in cherries and almonds.  Drop by spoonful on to an ungreased baking sheet and place in oven.

Bake for 9-11 minutes.  Let cookies cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment